Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Junked BBC Childrens Shows
geeef23
D-MAC

Mood: Ephemeral

[*] posted on 28-11-2006 at 11:37 PM
Junked BBC Childrens Shows

I've just been looking at the Kal guide for childrens shows, and scanning through an old thread here about Adam Lee authorising junkings of a lot of stuff in '93.
Now, we know that some Watch with Mother videotaped shows were hit by this, and Rentaghost, Take Hart, Jackanory Playhouse, Play School etc, but I've noticed large gaps in the archives for shows like Screen Test, Play Away, We Are The Champions, Why Don't You?, Cheggars Plays Pop and more that occur in the later series (for example, much of the Mark Curry 'Screen test' seems to be gone, and 'We Are The Champions' from as late as '87). Was this part of the same archive purge or were some of these shows not considered worthy of keeping anyway prior to this?
I'll just add that I was dismayed to see that it seems that only one of John Grant's 'Littlenose' Jackanory appearances seems to exist :(
Mickey
HD

Mood: Torchwoody

[*] posted on 28-11-2006 at 11:55 PM

I had heard that quite a few of the "live" shows weren't considered worth keeping, hence the loss of Saturday morning shows - but why would they get rid of Rentaghost and Jackanory?

"I find concussion quite invigorating."

46664 - Play Music - Fight AIDS
geeef23
D-MAC

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickey
I had heard that quite a few of the "live" shows weren't considered worth keeping, hence the loss of Saturday morning shows - but why would they get rid of Rentaghost and Jackanory?

It's odd, as though the archives post '79 are quite healthy for 'Swap Shop', 'Get Set For Summer' is missing loads of editions it seems.
As for the whys and wherefores of the junkings of 'Rentaghost' etc, it's worth scanning through this thread:
http://www.the-mausoleum-club.org.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=11356
Misguided and lack of forethought are the politest things that spring to mind. At least the 'Rentaghost' shows were recoverable, but not the others it seems.
Mickey
HD

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 12:32 AM

Yes, but Jackanory! Some of the biggest names in acting and entertainment, showcasing their skills by reading and performing some of the most highly regarded children's books. Even when the stories were rubbish it was worth watching!

It doesn't matter how many times I read the reasons for why junking happens; I'll never understand it.

geeef23
D-MAC

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 01:18 AM

Oh, I'll never understand it either! And these 1993 junkings rankle with me even more that the earlier examples, as it is so relatively recent, when I thought that kind of high-handed behaviour had ceased :mad:
I mean, if they couldn't justify storing the tapes, and couldn't afford to transfer them (which seems to be the case here) why couldn't they be transferred elsewhere? Maybe nowhere would take them all, but was that even considered? Surely it would have been better that just wiping them?
For god's sake, me and my mates would have looked after at least some of the tapes for 'em :) (well, ok, I know that's not the way the world works!)
It would be worth highlighting, for example, some of the VT Watch with Mother shows that have been wiped, since 'Playboard', 'Bod' and 'Ragtime' were being shown until the early '80s. It's quite possible that people would have home-videoed shows like this for their kids, and would now throw such recordings out as I don't think there is a general awareness that stuff like this is rare. Early tv gets all the publicity in this regard, but this kind of material has a much better chance of being tucked away on VHS or Betamax, unregarded, in someone's house.
Mark
Administrator

Mood: Start the car!

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 01:42 AM

Also, shows like "Screen Test", where contestants may have recorded the editions they appeared in.

:)

Mark

\"A cup of Tea..Tea..Tea..Tea\"
Andy Henderson
625 lines

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 08:03 AM

I know someone who visited Adam Lee around that time when researching material and they felt demoralised by the visit, citing the feeling that he had no time for them and made things difficult.

My own website on Lost British Television is:

http://lost-british-television.blogspot.com/

Lastest subject is Missing Doctor Who.
TJ
625 lines

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 10:32 AM

Does anyone know how the early videotaped See-Saw shows (Bric-a-Brac, Chockablock, Hokey Cokey etc) have fared?
Simon Mclean
HD

Mood: jolly d!

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 11:08 AM

Infax appears to show 13 Bric-A-Bracs - six from 1980, the rest from 82.

12 Chock-a-blocks are also listed - don't know whether that's a complete set or not.

I'm assuming if it's on Infax it's still around, so fingers crossed! ;)

In addition - 8 Ragtimes (3 from '73, all the rest from '75), and 26 Hokey Cokeys are all listed.
Mr.B
405 lines

Mood: UpAndHappy!

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
why would they get rid of Rentaghost?

They haven't, have they? If they have then they've only done so in the past couple of years.

For a start we know that the whole lot was repeated on UK Gold during the mid-90s (and safely recorded by me).

I heard rumours, a couple of years ago, that they'd been wiped in error, but this was later proved to have been not true and they're safe.

EDIT: Aha, just clicked over to the older topic: http://www.the-mausoleum-club.org.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=11356
Quite disgusting though that the stuff mentioned should be wiped so recently.

AdeyC
625 lines

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 11:12 AM

Quote:

Rentaghost hasn't been junked has it - it's been on UK Gold many times
Tim Munro
625 lines

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AdeyC
Quote:

Rentaghost hasn't been junked has it - it's been on UK Gold many times

Yes, and that's the only reason it survives, I believe. The archive wiped a load of children's stuff in 1993 (according to our own Richard Marson much to the fury of the then head of Children's TV) including "Rentaghost". It was later recovered from the UK Gold copies, or if not from them from sales copies of some sort. Sadly, other shows were less fortunate.
TJ
625 lines

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Mclean
Infax appears to show 13 Bric-A-Bracs - six from 1980, the rest from 82.

There were only thirteen, I think, so that's all there.

Quote:
12 Chock-a-blocks are also listed - don't know whether that's a complete set or not.

I'm assuming if it's on Infax it's still around, so fingers crossed! ;)

There were thirteen, but that's the sort of title that gets easily 'confused' in Infax, so the unaccounted for one could be listed under some other spelling of it!
willothewisp
405 lines

Mood: chilled

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 04:25 PM

I hope this isn't off topic but can anyone confirm that The Enchanted Castle(BBC 1979) is still in existence somewhere?
I have come across many other shows from this era but this one, which was my favourite, remains elusive.
I've even written to the BBC but had no reply.
doubleM
HD

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willothewisp
I hope this isn't off topic but can anyone confirm that The Enchanted Castle(BBC 1979) is still in existence somewhere?

http://www.lostshows.com/default.aspx?search=The+Enchanted+Castle
Leah Rachel
405 lines

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 05:40 PM

The Junking of Jackanory gets me. I assume the stories read by Prince Charles and Kenneth Williams didn't get junked as well?
(The near junking of Rentaghost is disgusting as well.)
I would be interested to see the one Prince Charles read out. It's never been repeated and would be interesting to watch a clip/episode again today considering how much has changed in tabloids + attitutes with the Royals.
RobinSmith
HD

Mood: looking for worms

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 05:43 PM

A mate of mine appeared on 'Cheggers Plays Pop'. He was in the band that backed 'Keith Marshall' who was singing 'Only Crying' (yep, i knew you wouldn't remember it). He once siad he wouldn't hear a bad word against Cheggers, as he spent more time in the Beeb corridors having a crafty fag with the bands, than hanging with the kids...

Wonder if that show still exists??????

Boom Boom!
Simon Mclean
HD

Mood: jolly d!

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 07:01 PM

11/05/81 - seems to still be there!

Cheggers is a jolly nice bloke - seems to be permanently cheerful and smiling, bless 'im.
richardmarson
405 lines

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 09:13 PM

These 1993 junkings were a last gasp of the arrogance of old school attitudes about individuals making ill informed decisions about what to keep (or not)

Former Swap Shop Editor Rosemary Gill recently told me that Swap Shop programmes were usually PasB'd (recorded off air) onto two 90 minute 2" spools. Deputy Head of Childrens Programmes Roy Thompson allowed many of these to be sent to Australia in the late 80s - where they were sold for re-use (Oz still using 2" back then) - as they were live shows, the spools were unedited so fine for recycling. The unrepeatability and money generated from the sale of these spools (and shows like Noel Edmonds' Lucky Numbers) was the justification. Rosy was not happy about it but wasn't consulted of course!

These days, I think the staff at WMR do their very best with limited time, resources and very unsuitable conditions to maintain one of the world's most important archives of tv.
Laurence.
Filmised

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 10:08 PM

It's a shame that it isn't recognised more widely as being that important though, Richard. I feel we could quite easily return to the climate where stuff could be junked as being "ephemeral". I still don't think the BBC (as a body) nessesarily see it as that important culturally. Governments (and those with money to fund archives properly) definitely don't!
simonharries
Administrator

Mood: Discombobulated

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 11:35 PM

I don't suggest for one minute that the 1990s loss of many 1970s/80s programmes is a terrible shame - I'm also surprised at the way in which that decision seems to have been taken.

We've been discussing shows junked 10-40years after they were made... Some have a commercial value (Rentaghost) whereas others, perhaps, do not, although select examples do appear to have been kept so that at least we have one or two left to consider.

However, as we move into the future, with so many channels available generating so much material, will there ever be room to store it all? How will future generations decide what is worth keeping?

What about preservation of shows some 60-100 years after they were made? Knowledge of their existence will be vouchsafed in the minds of an ever decreasing circle of cognoscenti, but will they ever have an appeal en masse for the masses?
Alistair
HD

Mood: Unrequited

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by richardmarson
Former Swap Shop Editor Rosemary Gill recently told me that Swap Shop programmes were usually PasB'd (recorded off air) onto two 90 minute 2" spools. Deputy Head of Childrens Programmes Roy Thompson allowed many of these to be sent to Australia in the late 80s -

That is absoltely fascinating and really marks a paradigm shift on how we've (I've?) always thought policy ran. I wondered if shows like Swap Shop were recorded (for compliance esentially?) and then wiped 'the next week' rather than being utterly unrecorded except for special reasoning on particular shows. To now discover that more shows were retained then wiped as late as the end of the 80s is pretty shocking.

(This brings to mind a specific question - while an edited excerpt from the Swap Trek spoof exists on the preserved VT of the final Swappie, has the original sketch been wiped sometime since 1982? I think it probably has ...)

Oh, to try answering a point made above, I have always assumed that the almost total lack of archive for the likes of Get Set For Summer, Saturday Picture Show etc (bang goes another batch of early 80s pop performances!) was down to local archiving policy at the time, as these shows were made at Oxford Road, BBC Manchester not TV Centre?
Mark
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 01:24 AM

I have often wondered about the differing Archival policies of the regions.

Looking through INFAX ( before it's removal ) I noticed some local news programme archives were better kept than others.

Gutted about "Swap Shop"....a great favourite.

Mark

Mickey
HD

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonharries

However, as we move into the future, with so many channels available generating so much material, will there ever be room to store it all? How will future generations decide what is worth keeping?

It's quite simple. If there's any chance that I might want to watch it some day, then keep it. :P

geeef23
D-MAC

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah Rachel
The Junking of Jackanory gets me. I assume the stories read by Prince Charles and Kenneth Williams didn't get junked as well?

The Prince Charles 'The Old Man of Lochnagar' is present and correct. As for Kenneth Williams' efforts, I think that 2 of his 'Agaton Sax' readings are gone at least.
geeef23
D-MAC

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by richardmarson
These 1993 junkings were a last gasp of the arrogance of old school attitudes about individuals making ill informed decisions about what to keep (or not)

Former Swap Shop Editor Rosemary Gill recently told me that Swap Shop programmes were usually PasB'd (recorded off air) onto two 90 minute 2" spools. Deputy Head of Childrens Programmes Roy Thompson allowed many of these to be sent to Australia in the late 80s - where they were sold for re-use (Oz still using 2" back then) - as they were live shows, the spools were unedited so fine for recycling. The unrepeatability and money generated from the sale of these spools (and shows like Noel Edmonds' Lucky Numbers) was the justification. Rosy was not happy about it but wasn't consulted of course!

Yeah, 'Lucky Numbers' is a series that I was surprised to see is nearly or all gone. I have an audio of a trailer somewhere. but that's fat use!
You "being on the inside"as 't'were, has there been any movement to seeing if any of these relatively recent shows (or relatively recently repeated shows, like the ones I mentioned earlier) might be on home recordings? I bet some might, but it's a case of enlightening people to what they might have on off-air video??
Mickey
HD

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 10:35 AM

Being enlightened isn't necessarily a help. When my family got a VCR for the first time, I recorded a whole bunch of stuff for my little sister. All the stuff she loved as a two year old, in case they weren't available later (spurred, I imagine, by the fact that Bod seemed to have disappeared from the schedules, and I was sorry I hadn't been able to tape that!). That tape was jam-packed with the likes of Hokey Cokey, Chock-a-block, Fingermouse and all that. Damn thing went mouldy and the tape snapped, just a few years ago. :(

TJ
625 lines

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 10:45 AM

I'd like to applaud geeef for starting this thread, and for trying to raise awareness of the situation. When I was researching the Watch With Mother articles for Off The Telly, and was desperately trying to get to the bottom of why half of Bod was now missing from the archives, apart from a couple of posters on here (who I'm very grateful to) all I got from people was a shrugged "meh" and the occasional "I think you're wrong, Rentaghost has come out on DVD" type comment. I can understand that this isn't really viewed as a significant archival loss (not compared to some other losses, anyway), and that examples were intentionally kept, and that not many people are really that interested in this kind of programming, but the sheer apathy that enquiries tended to generate did take me back a bit.

As is pointed out in the first post of this thread, a fair amount of this stuff quite possibly exists on domestic recordings somewhere, but not many people are aware that these might be the only copies in existence. A while back I spoke to a prominent collector of videotape recordings recovered from obsolete formats, who was absolutely gobsmacked when I told him that some of the shows I was looking for had been partly wiped as recently as 1993.

For the record, while I'm personally quite sad that the 'Doo Wop Parrots' edition of Playboard has gone, I can kind of understand (if not agree with) the reasons why these decisions were taken. It was just a little short-sighted to disregard such programmes as having no further commercial value at a time when those who *would* have been interested from a nostalgic point of view were still just a bit too young to have got properly nostalgic yet.
Mickey
HD

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ

I can understand that this isn't really viewed as a significant archival loss

Bloody well is to me. I love Bod. :) It's a damn all those Alberto Frog episodes are gone. :(

Laurence.
Filmised

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonharries

What about preservation of shows some 60-100 years after they were made? Knowledge of their existence will be vouchsafed in the minds of an ever decreasing circle of cognoscenti, but will they ever have an appeal en masse for the masses?

Well, with increased numbers of channels, there are infinitely more options for re-use of the material! Also, as technology moves on, storage space will become less of an issue as it will be possible to store higher quality in ever more miniscule storage mediums. Eventually, we'll be able to keep a recording to broadcast standard on something the size of a postage stamp (or less). It takes foresight to anticipate this, although - as we've seen - TV archives don't always have that quality.
Westcountry
625 lines

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 11:31 AM

couple of questions spring to mind:
Would the 2" tapes have been wiped before sending to OZ or sent with content intact?
So what chance of anything of the material on the 2" that were sold still existing in some
far flung Australian TV archive, with anything of the original recordings still existing even
if the end few minutes. (has anything ever turned up from this unlikely scenario?)

The other immediate worry is that anybody who did record anything off-air onto video is
probably now upgrading to DVD recordable and therefore junking their own home archive
of VHS tapes.
Andy Henderson
625 lines

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ
I'd like to applaud geeef for starting this thread, and for trying to raise awareness of the situation. When I was researching the Watch With Mother articles for Off The Telly, and was desperately trying to get to the bottom of why half of Bod was now missing from the archives, apart from a couple of posters on here (who I'm very grateful to) all I got from people was a shrugged "meh" and the occasional "I think you're wrong, Rentaghost has come out on DVD" type comment. I can understand that this isn't really viewed as a significant archival loss (not compared to some other losses, anyway), and that examples were intentionally kept, and that not many people are really that interested in this kind of programming, but the sheer apathy that enquiries tended to generate did take me back a bit.

As is pointed out in the first post of this thread, a fair amount of this stuff quite possibly exists on domestic recordings somewhere, but not many people are aware that these might be the only copies in existence. A while back I spoke to a prominent collector of videotape recordings recovered from obsolete formats, who was absolutely gobsmacked when I told him that some of the shows I was looking for had been partly wiped as recently as 1993.

For the record, while I'm personally quite sad that the 'Doo Wop Parrots' edition of Playboard has gone, I can kind of understand (if not agree with) the reasons why these decisions were taken. It was just a little short-sighted to disregard such programmes as having no further commercial value at a time when those who *would* have been interested from a nostalgic point of view were still just a bit too young to have got properly nostalgic yet.

The problem with stuff like this is the point of having it now.

I'm old enough to have seen repeats of stuff like the Woodentops, but have no desire to watch a DVD of it, the nostalgia for stuff like this does wear off very quickly.

It's probably too dated to have any practical use now and most editions were the same.

Some of the 70s colour series are still marketable I'd think though.

Westcountry
625 lines

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy Henderson

I'm old enough to have seen repeats of stuff like the Woodentops, but have no desire to watch a DVD of it, the nostalgia for stuff like this does wear off very quickly.

It's probably too dated to have any practical use now and most editions were the same.

isn't this exactly the problem that occured, with it being subjective.
One persons tastes aren't always the same as another's.
At least if it's in an archive it's accessible if wanted, rather than simply being lost forever.
What's not popular now may have a renaissance. :)
Andy Henderson
625 lines

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Westcountry
Quote:

isn't this exactly the problem that occured, with it being subjective.
One persons tastes aren't always the same as another's.
At least if it's in an archive it's accessible if wanted, rather than simply being lost forever.
What's not popular now may have a renaissance. :)

That whole argument has been the subject of many a debate on here and elsewhere, but somewhere archives have to draw a line. For example, The British Museum has junked books fairly recently. It isn't about being careless, it's about making valued judgements. After all, you personally don't keep everything you buy, you keep what you need and that is your personal choice. If you didn't, you'd have a house full to the rafters. Somewhere there had to be some form of organisation, otherwise what does exist won't be available for future generations.

Laurence.
Filmised

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 05:07 PM

Decisions on what goes though (IF it does) has to be referred outwards, rather than organisations making value judgements "on our behalf" without us knowing, as happened in the past. As said above, what is one person's unimportant is another's important. Future generations should have the option to choose for themselves. There is no excuse for destroying any more of our heritage. No excuse whatsoever.

The situation with the British Library doesn't apply to TV archives either, as the survival of the material on a reel of tape (rather than the tape itself - or an original book) is what matters. Ever smaller storage media will come along that will make this whole issue of "selective archiving" a thing of the past.
SteveBoyce
D-MAC

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurence.
Ever smaller storage media will come along that will make this whole issue of "selective archiving" a thing of the past.

Maybe... on the other hand, as storage media become denser, so the demand for data storage becomes more - BluRay for HDTV, next will be holographic tv or whatever. "When I was a lad", I still read Professor Calculus's colour TV in "the Castafiore Emerald" as sf!

I see you crying, but I'm not buying
Your Meryl Streep mimicry
SteveBoyce
D-MAC

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
After all, you personally don't keep everything you buy, you keep what you need and that is your personal choice. If you didn't, you'd have a house full to the rafters.

Ummm, did you visit my house? ...

I see you crying, but I'm not buying
Your Meryl Streep mimicry
Laurence.
Filmised

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 05:37 PM

Quote from SteveBoyce:
"Maybe... on the other hand, as storage media become denser, so the demand for data storage becomes more - BluRay for HDTV, next will be holographic tv or whatever."

Yes, true. But what i'm saying is that the survival of the material in some form or another will be possible rather than not at all. For example, it's possible for the viewer to now record TV at home to something approaching broadcast quality on small round discs that are a fraction of the size of a 2" tape (or a digibeta, for that matter). DVDs aren't a stable solution for archiving needs but something else will eventually replace them it that is a viable option (and it seems sensible if everyone here keeps their own archive anyway). If the TV companies ARE going to junk more stuff eventually then they should hand it over to others that would care for it. They are only custodians of these wonderful collections. The material belongs to us all.
Andrew Doherty
D-MAC

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 06:24 PM

I now have a good idea as to why the BBC Television Library was not given 'archive' status by the International Federation of Television Archives.

The definition of an Archive is a place where items of whatever kind are kept and preserved.

A library can be an archive, but an archive is not a library.

If so much as one item, be it book, letter, cine film or video recording, is knowingly thrown away, it is obvious that your archive has become a library.

This is just as well with respect to the British Library, since it cannot, now, call itself an archive (not that it has ever had the title 'archive' in its name).

The bottom line is in the word 'kept' or to keep.

There are those who set aside a room for, say, family history, where items are kept and preserved. Hence 'the family archive'.

So, if any of you have an archive, don't throw anything away, or it will no longer be an archive.

One more point. With recording technology advances there is no need to throw anything away. I suspect that DVDs will last a long time given the right temperature and humidity conditions.

Yours,

ANDy
Laurence.
Filmised

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Doherty
One more point. With recording technology advances there is no need to throw anything away. I suspect that DVDs will last a long time given the right temperature and humidity conditions.

Yours,

Wise words. Are you going to MBW on Saturday, Andrew, by the way? I hope to be going myself. Maybe have a chat there.
Andrew Doherty
D-MAC

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 07:04 PM

All being well, yes, I will be attending the Missing, Believed Wiped event.

Recognizable by a nineteen fifties jacket outfit, and a (typical for the period) no-nonsense attitude. [puzz]

Yours,

ANDy
Dandy Desmond
405 lines

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 09:45 PM
Wot no best bits of Bod?

What?!?! All the Alberto Frog's gone? That was my favourite bit of the show!

"I think I'll have..."
What? What will milkshake will you have Alberto - we cried.
"...a strawberry milkshake."
Ahh... I knew he'd say strawberry. Honest I did. Either that or chocolate.
Mickey
HD

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 10:19 PM

The Bod DVD contains 13 episodes of Bod, which apparently is all of them. There are also five episodes of Alberto Frog, which seems to be all that remains.

If you haven't bought it, believe me, it's worth it. It's a brilliant show, and given its style, unlikely ever to date. :)

Mark
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by geeef23

Yeah, 'Lucky Numbers' is a series that I was surprised to see is nearly or all gone. I have an audio of a trailer somewhere. but that's fat use!
You "being on the inside"as 't'were, has there been any movement to seeing if any of these relatively recent shows (or relatively recently repeated shows, like the ones I mentioned earlier) might be on home recordings? I bet some might, but it's a case of enlightening people to what they might have on off-air video??

Yes, I have an Audio trail featuring "Lucky Numbers ( with Mike Batt's excellent theme).

Mary Tamm featured on one of the shows, so it's likely that segment has survived on home recordings, same with some of the "Swap Shop" editions featuring "Doctor Who" guests ( a segment from the very first edition, featuring Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen appears on the "Hand Of Fear" DVD).

Mark

John Williams
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 02:55 AM

Quote:

All hail the idiot solipsist!
geeef23
D-MAC

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Quote:
Originally posted by geeef23

Yes, I have an Audio trail featuring "Lucky Numbers ( with Mike Batt's excellent theme).

Mary Tamm featured on one of the shows, so it's likely that segment has survived on home recordings, same with some of the "Swap Shop" editions featuring "Doctor Who" guests ( a segment from the very first edition, featuring Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen appears on the "Hand Of Fear" DVD).

Would it be the same one of Noel pondering if the "Elizabeth Windsor" who had phoned in was the Queen or not? That's the one I have...I have it filed under "mildly amusing", and "rare, but obscure, to point of no one else I talk to cares anyway"?
Mark
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 03:21 AM

Mmm..doesn't ring any bells..I'll have to dig it out and have a listen.

Amazing, some of the stuff that gets taped, trails and themes ( even ads ).

Taped the "Over The Moon" theme, because it was rather nice, even if the lyrics are confined to the title..!

Mark

geeef23
D-MAC

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 03:33 AM

Ooh, I'd love to hear that theme, Over the Moon, again..good on yer for taping it, anyway,
Andy Henderson
625 lines

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Williams
Quote:

All hail the idiot solipsist!

Are you attempting to insult me John or are you trying to make a general point?

Mickey
HD

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Taped the "Over The Moon" theme, because it was rather nice, even if the lyrics are confined to the title..!

Lyrics? I just remember "Over the moon, over the moon", but then it was a very long time ago. :) I remember very little about the show, other than the fact that the rest of my family hated it. They hated Bod, though, so what do they know?!

A bloke and a stick man?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top