Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 'Terminally Unreleasable'
NickGilbert
D-MAC

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 11:44 AM
'Terminally Unreleasable'

I'm quoting NigelCropper n the Colditz thread. The concensus is that Coldtiz and Shoestring are both very unlikely to be released. Which makes me ask 2 questions:

1/ What other series are in this boat? (Ace of Wands?)

2/ What reasons are there? Joint productions seem to cause problems.

My lists - work in progress

The webpage for TV Times covers is now

here
Paul Hayes
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 12:06 PM

I have heard that Potter's last two productions, Karaoke and Cold Lazarus, may be in this position to their famous BBC / Channel 4 co-production status, but I don't know how true that is.

analogueman
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 12:08 PM

I guess the biggest reason for something on the 'unlikely list' would be the old chestnut of 'rights issues'.

Perhaps programmes which only exist in private collections (outside recognised archives) might also be added to the list.

One title I doubt will ever see the light of day (in any kind of set) would be Blue Peter. They exist in the archive (thanks to Biddy), and I'd personally love to see year-by-year boxsets released. However, is there a market for it? I'd imagine there would be no end of copyright issues involved too... [oo] :(
Westcountry
625 lines

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 12:17 PM

with music/performing rights issues, these can normally be overcome by a "chop" or "change" approach by the rights holder ...although this then presents the cost implications which are what then makes a release commercially unviable.
Shoestring is probably the most obvious one that falls into this category.

Most productions made around the time of the ABC/Thames changeover are also in 'rights hell' simply because of blurred ownership (Canal+/Fremantle)
...the early Callan stories being amongst this era
NellyM
D-MAC

Mood: Nurse! The Screens!!

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 12:45 PM

As you say - rights issues are the main problem. Out of the Unknown deserves a dvd release - but I suspect writers issues would be problematic to clear???

\"Them was rotten days\"
Leah Rachel
405 lines

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by analogueman
I guess the biggest reason for something on the 'unlikely list' would be the old chestnut of 'rights issues'.

Perhaps programmes which only exist in private collections (outside recognised archives) might also be added to the list.

One title I doubt will ever see the light of day (in any kind of set) would be Blue Peter. They exist in the archive (thanks to Biddy), and I'd personally love to see year-by-year boxsets released. However, is there a market for it? I'd imagine there would be no end of copyright issues involved too... [oo] :(

I wouldn't be interested in a year by year release but if a Blue Peter "best of the... 1970s", 1980s decade by decade release would interest me. Or cut up into reasonably large chunks 1980-85 best of for example.
That should be easier to clear as well.
I just couldn't sit through every single episode.
Scuse it being abit off topic for this thread.:)
Nick Cooper 625
HD

Mood: Back to reality....

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 01:20 PM

1/ Knights of God and various other TVS productions.

1/ Archive bought by Saban Entertainment, itself then bought by Disney. We're into "blood" and "stones" territory here....

There seems to be something horribly wrong about a British TV archive ending up in the hands of disinterested Americans.
Andrew Doherty
D-MAC

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 01:35 PM

Quote:

It would be even more desirable if 'Blue Peter' programmes from the sixties are taken into consideration, since there are pop groups of the time that appeared on the shows.

Yours,

ANDy
arty_dave
D-MAC

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 01:48 PM

Like the wonderful Freddie & the Dreamers Blue Peter 1964

And the guitarist on the right, Pete Birell, always reminds me of Arthur of On The Buses fame (or is it the other way around.....?
SpeakerToAnimals
HD

Mood: Touched

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 03:01 PM

Is the Sixties Batman still held up in Rights Hell?

analogueman
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeakerToAnimals

It is.
John Williams
Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 03:49 PM

Richard Marson said in this thread that Blue Peter DVD releases are being planned for the 50th anniversary in 2008.
analogueman
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Williams
Richard Marson said in this thread that Blue Peter DVD releases are being planned for the 50th anniversary in 2008.

That is good news, although I hope they will be unmolested editions of the programme rather than a narrated compilation release.
GarethR
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
That is good news, although I hope they will be unmolested editions of the programme rather than a narrated compilation release.

I'm torn with this one... my purist side would prefer uncut editions, but my realist side points out that, like Grange Hill, Blue Peter was often a show where nothing much of note happened in any given edition - sadly, the UK Gold repeats of about 11 years ago proved that - and you'd need to release one hell of a lot of editions to cover all the right bases.

I think they could do a lot worse than grab the Blue Peter book for any given year and simply compile all the items highlighted therein - the *full* items, including the presenter preambles, *not* cutdowns. Just as long as they included complete period opening and closing titles and continuity where available, and forgot about context-setting links from the current presenters...
Kecske Bak
625 lines

Mood: Shiny Floor

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 05:24 PM

I wish someone would release a Playschool compilation - there's this bloke I know in Dubai who'd be perfect for the job of putting it together...
analogueman
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kecske Bak
I wish someone would release a Playschool compilation...

Does enough of it still exist in the archives...?
Paul Hayes
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 06:07 PM

On the Play School front, I simply have a deeply odd desire to see the Russell T. Davies-presented episode. I'm actually fairly stunned it still hasn't made it out onto the internet yet! :D

fatcat
HD

Mood: sparkly & noisy

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 06:46 PM

Quote:

The late producer William Dozier's daughter apparently, over how much TCFox didnt pay her dad or something.
GarethR
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kecske Bak
I wish someone would release a Playschool compilation...

Does enough of it still exist in the archives...?

Oh God, yes - hundreds of editions.

Unfortunately, it's a rights minefield. All of the songs, stories and windows films would have to be cleared, and there may well be payments due to the musicians playing on any given song.

The Re-Play compilation tape from the early 90s got around this by simply omitting the stories and most songs that weren't nursery rhymes; I don't remember if it included any windows films, or if it just showed the camera zooming in on the various windows.

It would be a very cool thing to do if the will (and money) was there, though... I still have all my tape logging notes from the NFT event, which would save on a fair bit of clip research ;)
Mark Oates
D-MAC

Mood: See Sig for details

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fatcat
Quote:

The late producer William Dozier's daughter apparently, over how much TCFox didnt pay her dad or something.

That's a relatively new batproblem for the show. There's still the matter nobody's quite got to the bottom of, of who at either DC Comics or parent company Time-Warner nixes any deals to release the show. Warner Bros always blame DC and DC always passes the buck back to Warner. Until that mess gets cleared up, Debbie Dozier is the least of the show's problems.

Afterthought: Just been reading the IMDb entry on "Batman" and I suddenly had a really nasty thought. Maybe all the talk of WB and DC and Debbie Dozier is a smokescreen and what's stopping release of the series is a rights clearance issue - all the uncredited window appearances in the episodes by various stars and celebrities. Fox might be balking at sorting all of that out.

Mood: While Not Exactly Disgruntled, Far From Gruntled.

DVD.Reviewer. (co.uk), News Editor and Columnist. Home-based carer and general decent sort.
RobinSmith
HD

Mood: looking for worms

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 09:54 PM
Topical

There is the other extreme, which is the series that couldn't/wouldn't be released due the subject matter not being topical anymore.

I'm talking about series from 'That Was The Week That Was' through 'Spitting Image' to 'Saturday Night Armistice'.

I would love to re-watch all these series on DVD, however, the average punter may not, and the powers that be may think any topical news comedies may not worth releasing (however 'Have I Got news For You' seems to have gained a few releases).

Just watching back some recordings of the Armistice, there are quite a few millenium dome jokes, mo mowlam/northern ireland peace agreement gags, and a fair bit of Robin Cook piss taking about is alleged affair.

As Mowlam and cook are no longer with us, I think a dvd release is highly unlikely.

Sorry this is slightly off topic, but I think it's a fair point.

Boom Boom!
John Williams
Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobinSmith
Just watching back some recordings of the Armistice, there are quite a few millenium dome jokes, mo mowlam/northern ireland peace agreement gags, and a fair bit of Robin Cook piss taking about is alleged affair.

As Mowlam and cook are no longer with us, I think a dvd release is highly unlikely.

I watched some old programme last week (can't remember what but it was on UK Gold) that had an unflattering joke about Mo Mowlam. After a certain amount of time has passed I don't think jokes or remarks of that type are a significant bar to something being released.
ian b
HD

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobinSmith
There is the other extreme, which is the series that couldn't/wouldn't be released due the subject matter not being topical anymore.

I don't really think that that would matter actually - as long as there were either adequate introductions/production subtitles anything even vaguely "topical" should be of interest/made to be of interest to a punter.

The 90s BBC2 compilations of TW3 are masterclasses of the compilation, with added info - and in the age of dvd can even be improved upon.

Anything that exists is a likely candidate for release - circumstances change, even if there is a problem now...
dbiv
D-MAC

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ian b
I don't really think that that would matter actually - as long as there were either adequate introductions/production subtitles anything even vaguely "topical" should be of interest/made to be of interest to a punter.

The problem may come in the attitude of the DVD publisher and the people involved in the series. Remember the infamous case of John Lloyd's compilations of "Not the Nine'o'clock News"? Anything which did not make the cut into this 1995 compilation has probably remained unseen for over 25 years (although I do vaguely remember a repeat around 1990 which was of complete shows).

"Drop the Dead Donkey" showed one way to get round this problem; "Have I Got News For You" doesn't need to because they generally explained the news items within the show.

Quote:
The 90s BBC2 compilations of TW3 are masterclasses of the compilation, with added info - and in the age of dvd can even be improved upon.

I'd still like to see a full release of TW3, especially cleaned up and vidfired, but due to the horrendously poor nature of some of the recordings that is unlikely.
geeef23
D-MAC

Mood: Ephemeral

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 12:00 AM

Why was Ace of Wands mentioned in the first post? I hope there isn't something I don't know about barring this from release...I thought it was just that it wasn't high enough on Network's "to-do" list that series 3 hadn't appeared on DVD.
Lord, how long ago was it that it was mentioned that Network were releasing this? *sigh*
Going back to the Play School 'Re: Play' VHS, yes, there is only one story, Eric Thompson doing 'Beauty and the Beast' (so no copyright hassles there).
I think there was one "through the window" film, but I'll have to dig the tape out to check.
It's the "how footballs are made" one that sticks in my mind, for some reason.
Funny the series that turn out to be clearance minefields...I'd never thought of all the clearance hassles regarding Play School.
Gah, I recall being stuck on a train to London, and missing Gareth's Play School NFT thang. Damn you SWT!
I've still never quite got over that!
Mark
Administrator

Mood: Start the car!

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 12:20 AM

I've always assumed that "Ace of Wands" was a "Back burner" job, I certainly can't think of any rights issues that would effect it.

Others ( in the problem area ) that spring to mind, include "Vision On" and "Target", and on the U.S front..."The Man from Uncle", I think.

By the way, was Twikki the robot, from "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century", a "Blue Peter" fan..only he was always saying.."Biddy..Biddy..Biddy..Biddy"....?...just wondering..!

:)

Mark

\"A cup of Tea..Tea..Tea..Tea\"
Simon36
HD

Mood: Autumnal

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 08:26 AM

I find the idea Blue Peter would be difficult surprising, as I never recall pop groups playing much of a role in the show and there are plenty of lengthy chunks on Dr Who DVDs.

As for Out of the Unknown, agian, find this quite surprising. I can't see why it would prove more problematic than anything else.
RobinSmith
HD

Mood: looking for worms

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 09:17 AM
Royal It's A Knockout

What are the chances of this one coming out :P

Boom Boom!
NickGilbert
D-MAC

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by geeef23
Why was Ace of Wands mentioned in the first post? I hope there isn't something I don't know about barring this from release...I thought it was just that it wasn't high enough on Network's "to-do" list that series 3 hadn't appeared on DVD.
Lord, how long ago was it that it was mentioned that Network were releasing this? *sigh*

I did put a question mark on it 'cos I don't know. Surely there has to be more to it than lack of will. There's been hints that McKenzie isn't keen but who knows?

My lists - work in progress

The webpage for TV Times covers is now

here
doubleM
HD

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NickGilbertI did put a question mark on it 'cos I don't know. Surely there has to be more to it than lack of will. There's been hints that McKenzie isn't keen but who knows?

Thinking about it, one major programming area that Network seemed to have cooled to/ignored is "children's drama" .. when was the last release of this type??

Similar to "AOW" ..we've had at least hints that "Sky", "The Feathered Serpent" and "The Owl Service" (the latter two mentioned on Network's own web pages a long time ago) would be considered - I think "Shadows" also was mentioned at some point ... but nothing has appeared .. nor have any other of the multitude of ITV childrens drama series/serials of the 70s and 80s that are available to them.

.. maybe a decision has been made that these types of programmes will not sell well enough?
Tim Munro
625 lines

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NickGilbert
Quote:
Originally posted by geeef23

I did put a question mark on it 'cos I don't know. Surely there has to be more to it than lack of will. There's been hints that McKenzie isn't keen but who knows?

Can't be Mckenzie. Actors can't block releases since Equity changed the rules to allow majority voting i.e. no single cast member can block a release if the others are okay with it. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was a writer who was blocking "Ace of Wands", much as I believe has been the problem with "Hazell" Series 2.
analogueman
HD

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleM
... and "The Owl Service"...

Cough... UKNova... cough...
Laurence.
Filmised

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 10:20 AM

The Tyrant King is another, I suppose (unfortunately). I'd like to see this again but the continual pop music soundtrack would be a real problem.

Someone mentioned the ABC / Thames changeover period shows as being problematic; this is the first i'd heard of anything of this kind relating to Callan though - I HOPE it isn't true as i'm still waiting for a complete set to be released eventually!
TJ
625 lines

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GarethR
The Re-Play compilation tape from the early 90s got around this by simply omitting the stories and most songs that weren't nursery rhymes; I don't remember if it included any windows films, or if it just showed the camera zooming in on the various windows.

They still managed to get a couple of non-traditional songs in there, though - Ten Chimney Pots, which I'm fairly sure was written by producer Michael Cole, was definitely included.

As a side note, one of those Watershed Pictures children's TV compilation videos in the early nineties featured a clip of Rick Jones singing what sounded like one of his own songs on an edition of Play School.
Alistair
HD

Mood: Unrequited

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cooper 625
1/ Knights of God and various other TVS productions.

1/ Archive bought by Saban Entertainment, itself then bought by Disney. We're into "blood" and "stones" territory here....

There seems to be something horribly wrong about a British TV archive ending up in the hands of disinterested Americans.

Now, is this longstanding state of affairs still the case with the TVS material? I ask this because I was interested to note a reasonably old Ruth Rendell Mysteries (Wexford) episode on ITV3 a few months ago and was rather surprised to see the 'blue steel' TVS logo at the end, dating it as c.1989/90 (sorry, can't remember what ep it was!).

So, how did ITV3 get hold of this? Is it basically that anything can be got if there's will enough to do so?

I'd love to see repeats/releases of CATS Eyes and that's not been seen since the days of The Family Channel c.1996.

Look, if you're going to put "... and just as well" as a reply, don't think you're being funny in the slightest. Mock Chatham's Angels at your peril.
Ross
HD

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 08:05 PM

Just to let all Tarot fans know: Ace of Wands is out on 9 July from Network.

All together now...

Jet white dove
Snow black snake....
Scene South East
405 lines

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 09:48 PM

The TVS programme archive is owned by Walt Disney in the States – that is why the programmes will never be repeated. Disney will not licence any TVS material as all the paperwork has been lost. This means that the Disney lawyers will not allow clips sales as they have no idea what residuals need to be paid. As a former TVS worker this is sad, in fact very sad. But true.

At the end of TVS the rights to a few programmes (Rendell, Art Attack, TV Weekly, etc) were sold to the programme producers. This deal included the archive of all programmes made under the TVS name. This is the case with Rendell, it was never sold to Disney (like Art Attack) so the deal is with the independent producer.
Frankymole
Sin Bin

Mood: Not quoting the BBC as it's apparently evil.

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scene South East
The TVS programme archive is owned by Walt Disney in the States – that is why the programmes will never be repeated. Disney will not licence any TVS material as all the paperwork has been lost. This means that the Disney lawyers will not allow clips sales as they have no idea what residuals need to be paid.

LOL! So they have bought a useless/worthless asset. In fact, it's a liability because storage/maintenance costs have to be paid. Or are they just letting the media rot?

Scene South East
405 lines

[*] posted on 27-3-2007 at 10:22 PM

Sadly they are letting it rot. The problem is, the TVS archive came "free" when Disney purchased Fox Family Worldwide, Inc., in 1998.

When The Family Channel bought TVS Maidstone in 1993, the TVS archive came with it. The Family Channel was then bought by Fox - and the achive transferred to them.

Saban is also involved - but that's another story!

So Disney own the archive by default.
Alistair
HD

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 12:19 AM

Thank you to Scene South East for giving us the lowdown on what sounds like an absolutely disgraceful state of affairs. Yes, I had heard that Disney might now be involved so thanks for confirming the bad news.

So, what you're saying is that for some shows rights options to continue making the series were sold to interested would-be producers and hits such as Art Attack and Rendell (and Catchphrase) would indeed continue to be produced by new companies. And with those rights you got the back catalogue 'free', right?

This would suggest that any TVS-originated show aired on The Family Channel was *not* bought up by independents as a going concern and is now thus 'dead'.

So, does this indeed leave No 73, Motormouth, Knights of God and, grrr, CATS Eyes absolutely in the lurch and to all intents and purposes unviewable? To the extent that it's virtually junked?

What a scandal if that were true.
geeef23
D-MAC

Mood: Ephemeral

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross
Just to let all Tarot fans know: Ace of Wands is out on 9 July from Network.

All together now...

Jet white dove
Snow black snake....

And there was me muttering about the lack of progress on this just yesterday morning.
I should mutter like that more often, it maybe makes things happen :(o)

edit: bloody shocked by that Disney/TVS situation detailed above. What an awful state of affairs.
I was going to suggest that if it's an unusable resource for Disney maybe some other enterprising body could take it off their hands..but they would be in the same boat re the paperwork of course...so that's a non-starter...
Westcountry
625 lines

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
originally posted by Laurence
Someone mentioned the ABC / Thames changeover period shows as being problematic; this is the first i'd heard of anything of this kind relating to Callan though - I HOPE it isn't true as i'm still waiting for a complete set to be released eventually!

apparently both companies have a claim to the B/W series and would BOTH want paying, which would therefore double the costs clearances to any commercial release. Not a never to be released reason, but a significant financial one for any distributor. (double payment for every episode)
Sherwood
625 lines

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Westcountry
Quote:
originally posted by Laurence

apparently both companies have a claim to the B/W series and would BOTH want paying, which would therefore double the costs clearances to any commercial release. Not a never to be released reason, but a significant financial one for any distributor. (double payment for every episode)

Isn't this the case for Armchair Theatre as well? The problem with AT may be even worse though because the NFTVA hold some copies so they'd require paying as well!

Music programmes are a classic case of licence hell. All those rights to be cleared and artists and if they're mimed performances it's even worse becaues there are original recordings to licence from the record companies.

Worst cases of these would be music programmes that include bought-in archive such as The White Room, Whistle Test and Revolver there can't be much hope of these being released in their original form and complete.

Revolver licensed clips from Ready Steady Go (Dave Clarke) which now appears to be a completely closed and locked up archive.

When was the last time a Ready Steady Go clip was licensed?

Another problem is lack of source material - expensive copying can block a release. Archives wanting tele-recording negatives copied first onto film prints before they can be telecined to tape that sort of thing tends to put the cost up a bit!
Scene South East
405 lines

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 01:14 PM

This would suggest that any TVS-originated show aired on The Family Channel was *not* bought up by independents as a going concern and is now thus 'dead'.

So, does this indeed leave No 73, Motormouth, Knights of God and, grrr, CATS Eyes absolutely in the lurch and to all intents and purposes unviewable? To the extent that it's virtually junked?

What a scandal if that were true.

Yes, I'm afraid so :(
Andrew Doherty
D-MAC

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 02:05 PM

With regard to the TVS fiasco, it proves that the paperwork IS everything when it comes to the crunch. TVS, or whoever took over this particular archive, would surely have documentation for the productions.

What other organizations in any line of business would possibly buy anything WITHOUT documentation on the products themselves?

Such documentation must exist somewhere, or it was deliberately destroyed, and I don't believe that.

More likely is the "we can't be bothered to find the appropriate paperwork, and so there is the end of the matter" attitude. The Disney organization is not without the 'wherewithal' to make an attempt.

Even when all said and done, it is inexcusable. [nonono]

Yours,

ANDy
Alistair
HD

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 02:09 PM
TVS archive limbo

This is particularly galling in that I don't see a way out of that scenario in the short or long term.

So, these shows now virtually cease to exist. When I wrote up No 73 for screenonline we drew a blank on getting research viewing and I had to fall back on material I had myself. I don't know where the clips eventually used on the site came from:

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/562782/index.html

I recently transferred some of my old decaying VHSs of 73/Motormouth music appearances to DVD-R (not nearly enough, just a handful!) including the likes of Transvision Vamp, The Primitives, All About Eve and Fuzzbox (73 in particular had a live band policy rather than use miming .. ). I don't have a copy of Iggy Pop's infamous appearance on 73 but that's another gem now presumably 'lost'. Given record companies far more proactive attitude to putting together TV appearances on DVD these days makes it particularly annoying that such TVS items won't see the light of day.

I know it's (rightly) frowned upon to mention the copying of copyright material on the Mausoleum but frankly anyone wanting to distribute copies of this stuff now has (almost!) a moral right to do so. Looks like I'm going to have to actively restore and seek out copies of CATS Eyes then because a release or repeat is not unlikely but *impossible* unless some millionaire (original TVS MD James Gatward perhaps?) goes and buys it all back and even then, as has been pointed out, how does one sell something without provenance???
John Williams
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 02:29 PM

This does seem to be a horribly intractable problem unless the paperwork can be rediscovered.

When it's said that the paperwork is lost, exactly what is meant by that? That it went astray when the archive was moved from pillar to post between buyers. It seems extraordinary that other archives haven't lost paperwork over the years, and yet they must have managed to get around the problem if they have.
Andrew Doherty
D-MAC

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 02:40 PM

Here is what would have to be done, and it would take a good amount of time and investigation, which means the finances to do such work. Oh yes, and someone who has the finances to purchase the archive.

If anyone was able to be in a position to buy out such an archive, access to the archive, is obvious.

The first requirement is to note what material exists and produce an inventory. Then establish a cast and production crew list from the programmes.

The next stage is locating individuals from the original organization who may be able to provide information on the programmes, other than that shown on the credits.

If this amount of information is collected along with the legal documentation produced in acquiring the archive by the various owners, a provenance can be established.

The legalities can be worked out and an offer based on the value can be made.

Finally, it is a matter of agreement and the way the new owner(s) would wish to proceed. The new owner(s) would still have to consult with writers, cast and production teams.

Yes, I can well understand why it would be easier to do nothing, but this is NOT the same as saying that nothing can be done.

Yours,

ANDy
John Williams
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Taylor
Scene South East is spot on with this.

All all before one considers that a sizeable amount of the TVS collection has gone missing - and quite recently so.

Can you expand on that Greg?
Alistair
HD

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 04:02 PM
The Worst View in the South

First it's the paperwork but when you start hearing that actual material is going missing, well, that's worse again. Clearly Disney don't give a shit what happens to this. If I can clarify the situation it's maybe time someone with some power made efforts to repossess this ... is the stuff physically sitting at Maidstone or is it in America?

Anyone think what shows might go this way other than CATS Eyes, No 73, Motormouth? There's children's stuff like numerous Dramarama, The Witches and the Grinnygog, Knights of God, The Haunting of Cassie Palmer, On Safari, early How2. They did some LE stuff like some Bobby Davro shows. Dramas .. did they do that thing Menace Unseen?

At this rate all that'll be left is Wexford and a furiously frugging Mr Chips.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top