Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Star Trek repeats on Sky
DrPL
D-MAC

Mood: Imbuing the duvet with essence de fart

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 09:29 AM
Star Trek repeats on Sky

Hi,
Maybe someone can help! The BBC showed the "entire" Star Trek series (sans banned episodes) from c.1984 - approximately 1986/7 (?) and then repeated them again from about 1992 onwards I think. I am sure that Sky, or perhaps BSkyB, showed the series, complete with the banned installments in the interim. Does anyone else remember this?

Many thanks!

Paul

Spiny Norman
HD

Mood: Reclining/nefarious

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrPL
Hi,
Maybe someone can help! The BBC showed the "entire" Star Trek series (sans banned episodes) from c.1984 - approximately 1986/7 (?) and then repeated them again from about 1992 onwards I think. I am sure that Sky, or perhaps BSkyB, showed the series, complete with the banned installments in the interim. Does anyone else remember this?

Many thanks!

Paul

What exactly was banned?
I do remember that some of the two parters worked much better when edited into one 100 minute story.

Monty Python has been available on DVD for some time, but some things are missing!

Please read the story, and sign the petition below:

http://www.petitiononline.com/topython/petition.html
DrPL
D-MAC

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 09:49 AM

From the original series: Miri, Plato's Stepchildren, Whom Gods Destroy and The Empath.

incidentally, only one of the stories was a two parter.

Sorry, I should have specified that this is the original 1966-69 series we're talking about, not The Next Generation et al.

Andrew Baker
HD

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 10:14 AM

Didn't the BBC show the original series in 1980? I sem to remember it being on when I visited a house in Fulham which must have been during 1980 as I was working in Putney.
The Wooksta!
HD

Mood: Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 10:25 AM

They did*. It was in the same slot as Blake's 7 on a Monday. I used to watch it with me Dad and he was off on a monday.

*I mean the 1980/1981 repeat runs.

This week, Zoltar will mostly be spraying Spitfires.
DrPL
D-MAC

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 10:29 AM

Yes, the showed it prime-time BBC1 ISTR, a peculiar piece of scheduling for a series that was already 18 years old in 1984. After a couple of weeks it got moved to BBC2, probably because of Michael Grade and his whole anti-SF mantra thing.
I remember the continuity announcer telling us that the BBC were "beaming up the whole series" - but they still missed the four banned episodes out.

I think the repeat series finished in 1986 as I remember watching them after we moved house that year and it was well into the 3rd season then. Then the BBC showed the series from VT not film from 1992 onwards. I am sure it was on Sky between 1989 and 1992.

Bob Richardson
HD

Mood: Blissful

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 11:13 AM

The Original Series is currently being repeated on CBS Action (Sky 148) on weekdays at noon and 6pm. It's the "remastered" versions with new effects and with model shots replaced by CGI. I'm quite enjoying these "tarted-up" editions. Yesterday's episode, "Catspaw", had the very visible puppet strings digitally removed from the final scenes, which is a huge improvement on the original.
Andrew Baker
HD

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 01:24 PM

The Sky broadcasts are 16:9 which looks perfectly OK. As I am often pointing out UK and US film series were usually shot to look best at 14:9 as that was the standard cinema ratio so 16:9 is generally effective..
Spiny Norman
HD

Mood: Reclining/nefarious

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
From the original series: Miri, Plato's Stepchildren, Whom Gods Destroy and The Empath.

incidentally, only one of the stories was a two parter.

Sorry, I should have specified that this is the original 1966-69 series we're talking about, not The Next Generation et al.

Sorry, I somehow assumed it was TNG.
Why were these episodes banned??

Monty Python has been available on DVD for some time, but some things are missing!

Please read the story, and sign the petition below:

http://www.petitiononline.com/topython/petition.html
Reginald Molehusband
HD

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 03:41 PM

The BBC chose not to show "The Empath", "Whom Gods Destroy" and "Plato's Stepchildren" due to "sadistic" elements in the episodes making them unsuitable for the series time slot which was 5.15pm, the Dr Who slot in fact. "Miri" was shown once if I recall, then not repeated.

The three above were also quite bad episodes - stories persist that this was a reason too. Spock in a mini-skirt toga dancing, Kirk ridden by a dwarf...
David Brunt
HD

Mood: Barely alive

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 03:46 PM

Well the exploding green Batgirl in 'Whom Gods Destroy', for one.

Easily copyable violence by children in 'Miri'.

Cruelty to dwarves in 'Plato's Stepchildren'.

'The Empath' because everybody gets beaten up, all the time.

As far as I recall. Sky had the early seasons of Next Gen when BBC2 were rerunning the original series in 1992 or so. They then swapped. With BBC2 showing the first three NG series while Sky had TOS.

I remember having some free time once. I think it was a Tuesday...
DrPL
D-MAC

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:02 PM

Interesting. The BBC started showing TNG late September/early October 1990, and didn't finish with season 3 until some time after Christmas 1991. I remember the dates very well as they coincided with my first few years at University.

If you're right, then during this time period, Sky were showing TOS. This ties in with my own memories, as my parents got satellite TV in time to record the Hartnell and Troughton era of Dr.Who from BSkyB which would put it in the 1991/2 timeframe. I am sure that Sky were showing TOS at that time.

I also remember the reported problems with TNG at the time; the BBC had only negotiated the first three
seasons, but didn't realise that the last episode was a cliffhanger. Hurried negotiations
allowed "The Best of Both Worlds part 2" to be shown the week after part 1.

DrPL
D-MAC

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:05 PM

Isn't there an on-line database of historic TV schedules? I had it listed as a favourite on my browser but now I can't find it.

Frankymole
Sin Bin

Mood: Not quoting the BBC as it's apparently evil.

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:18 PM

Didn't an early Starburst allege that one episode was banned from the original BBC run for having an interracial kiss?

BSB went defunct in December 1990 and the Who repeats ended, I remember as I'd only got a squarial for those.

Ray Lomas
405 lines

Mood: Turquoise

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:25 PM

I definitely remember Sky showing the original Star Trek - weeknights at 10pm if memory serves. Must have been after 1989 (when we first got Sky) and before 1993 (from which time I would have been in the pub every night instead).

DrPL
D-MAC

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:40 PM

The kiss was in "Plato's Stepchildren" and probably wasn't the reason it was banned. I've only seen it once, and will never watch it again. "I'm tweedle dum, he's tweedle-dee" indeed, and Spock tap dancing around Kirk's head. Atrocious.

I am sure TOS was being shown on Sky/BSkyB when my parents got it. This was after the spring of 1991. I remember being a pain and asking them to record the Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee repeats on UK Gold, and I am sure that it is in this time frame that Sky were showing Star Trek. Unfortunately I do not know quite when this was, but it was definitely well before I finished Uni (the summer of 1993). I clearly remember watching TOS Season 3 on BBC-2 in late 1993 and the Sky showing was before this.

Paul Hayes
HD

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 07:21 PM

Didn't the BBC also ban the TNG episode where it's claimed the IRA eventually brought about a united Ireland?
Juswuh
HD

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 10:47 PM

I remember reading that a few US series had episodes dropped over here because they featured the Irish troubles in one way or another...
Daspouter
405 lines

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks!

Paul

Sky1 Showed the series from 1990 onwards, as i remember it being mentioned in TV Zone magazine. Apparently they showed the cut BBC prints, with the intro shifted to the beginning instead of after the teaser.
Mickey
HD

Mood: Torchwoody

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankymole
Didn't an early Starburst allege that one episode was banned from the original BBC run for having an interracial kiss?

The BBC had already shown black and white people kissing by that time, in "Emergency Ward 10", so that's highly unlikely to have been an issue. Besides, it hardly qualifies as a kiss anyway. They barely touch lips.

"I find concussion quite invigorating."

46664 - Play Music - Fight AIDS
GarethR
HD

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hayes
Didn't the BBC also ban the TNG episode where it's claimed the IRA eventually brought about a united Ireland?

Yes, the episode (The High Ground) was skipped over completely by both the BBC and RTE. Sky One showed it, but with the relevant dialogue edited out. It was finally broadcast uncut by Sky in 2006, and by the BBC in 2007.
MJ Simpson
Banned

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 07:40 AM

I was just thinking the other day that I bet there's folk now too young to remember the legendary "lost episodes" of Star Trek. They were like a Holy Grail. The legend say that on the first run, the Beeb had a handful of complaints about the kid-violence in 'Miri'. Sci-fi of course is for children so they were a bit surprised by this. The checked the remaining episodes and identified three more that might cause problems. And those four remained unbroadcast on the Beeb till the early 1990s.

I believe some of the other episodes were cut over the years, and certainly TNG suffered some tremendous cuts. The notorious episode was, I think, called 'Conspiracy' about slug-aliens taking over the Federation or something. Almost the entire last five minutes was snipped by the Beeb, rendering the whole show pointless. And famously, the objectionable violence, though removed when part of the story, was left in another episode as an out-of-context random flashback.

Quote:
I also remember the reported problems with TNG at the time; the BBC had only negotiated the first three seasons, but didn't realise that the last episode was a cliffhanger. Hurried negotiations allowed "The Best of Both Worlds part 2" to be shown the week after part 1.

I remember there being extensive debate at the time, as the end of season 3 approached, about what would happen, but I don't recall anything about the Beeb not having the rights to season 4 onwards. The plan was that, after showing 60-odd episodes, they would take a break and repeat the 1960s series in the same slot (complete for once) then continue with more TNG. So it wasn't whether they had the rights, it was whether we would have to wait over a year for the cliffhanger, rather than the few months that the Yanks had waited.

MJ Simpson
http://www.MJSimpson.co.uk - cult movies and the people who make them
Bernie
HD

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 10:00 AM

Quote:

And those four remained unbroadcast on the Beeb till the early 1990s.

Ooohhh - a chance to brag and name drop....

We used to make press launch videos - clips of the new seasons programmes. Alan Yentob wanted to appear in his (he would), so I put him in a super cheap set in TC8 consisting of two of those huge translucent screens used for soft lighting. He was making a deal about showing the first ST series again, and I asked "including the banned ones?". There was a short pause - possibly a "what's he on about?" one - and then he said "yes, of course".

Then we beamed him up - of course.

B
Ant
625 lines

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daspouter
Sky1 Showed the series from 1990 onwards, as i remember it being mentioned in TV Zone magazine. Apparently they showed the cut BBC prints, with the intro shifted to the beginning instead of after the teaser.

Likewise with TNG, the Sky showings of the first three seasons or so were the BBC's (mono!) copies. I think they remedied that in the end but I recall the grumbles about it at the time.
The Wooksta!
HD

Mood: Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
I am sure TOS was being shown on Sky/BSkyB when my parents got it. This was after the spring of 1991. I remember being a pain and asking them to record the Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee repeats on UK Gold, and I am sure that it is in this time frame that Sky were showing Star Trek. Unfortunately I do not know quite when this was, but it was definitely well before I finished Uni (the summer of 1993). I clearly remember watching TOS Season 3 on BBC-2 in late 1993 and the Sky showing was before this.

UKGold started screening Doctor Who from the beginning in 1992.

This week, Zoltar will mostly be spraying Spitfires.

Go To Top